for Finding Venerable Mother
- How did Dhammananda provide the maternal love that Cindy needed? In your own life has there been a woman who has mentored you or showed you unconditional love and how has this person been important in your life?
- Dhammananda’s unconditional love for Cindy plays a huge part in helping Cindy to accept herself. Do you think unconditional love and forgiveness go hand-in-hand?
- How did Cindy overcome her anger for her mother and herself? What part did Dhammananda play in this process?
- How/Why is the Medicine Buddha important to Cindy in her recovery? What role does hope and faith play in healing? Can you give an example from your own life?
- In the process of taking care of others Cindy lost sight of herself. Have you ever had this experience?
- What parallels do you see between Cindy’s life and Dhammananda’s own struggle to discover her life’s purpose?
- Cindy went to Thailand supposedly for her husband’s career, yet this experience led her on a spiritual path. What does Cindy learn about the conditions necessary for personal transformation? Are we ever “ready,” mentally or spiritually prepared for transformation or does it just take us by surprise? Describe a situation in your life when have had a spiritual experience and what that was like.
- How did this book change you?